My name is Kirstie Kāne Akana. I reside on the Windward side of the island where I have raised my three daughters. I enjoy sports, shopping, going to the beach and game night at home (Pictionary, Taboo, Catch Phrase and Heads Up) with family and friends.
I am a graduate from the University of Hawaii and received my Masterʻs degree in Curriculum Studies. I have been teaching at Waiau Elementary for over 20 years. It has been a pleasure collaborating with the most amazing, motivating and supportive set of professional here. I enjoy working with our children and am committed to helping them reach for their dreams through education. I believe education empowers the whole child, which helps him or her make a positive contribution to our world.
Kumu Kane’s Fun Favorites:
• Books: Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann and Love That Dog by Sharon Creech and Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
• Author/Illustrator: Audrey & Don Wood
• Color: Blue… no, purple… sometimes green... ok, let's just say... RAINBOWS
• Food: Filet mignon and garlic mashed potatoes or sour poi
• Sports to watch: volleyball and basketball
It will be a wonderful blessing to see your child grow and bloom as a learner throughout the years. I look forward to having a great year filled with learning, fun, laughter, music, art, and most of all, success!
‘O wau iho nō me ka ha’aha’a,